Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tanner's first talk and some musings

Tanner gave his first primary talk today.  He did a great job.  He talked about the Savior.  I believe he enjoyed being up in front of people.  He insisted on sitting on chair in front of everyone through the remainder of sharing/singing time despite my attempts to get him to go sit with the class.

Last week I was reading L. Tom Perry's conference talk.  (Thank goodness we can go back and read or listen to them since it's hard to get all you can from conference with little children)  Elder Perry talked about the Sabbath Day and the Sacrament and I was thinking about how we spend the Sabbath.  We don't go to the store or work or anything like that.  However, I was thinking that we could do a lot better at keeping the Sabbath day holy.  So starting today my boys were only allowed to watch Veggie Tale (or other religious movies) and no video games.  I put together some gospel related activities to do this morning as well.  We pinned the fin on Jonah's well, did a missionary lacing card, played a matching game of a scene of a family going to church, and played a game trying to get to Jesus by making good choices.  It was fun and I think it helped us be more prepared for church.  Reading this talk made me think about how just because we aren't doing something wrong doesn't mean we are doing something good either.  Or maybe we are doing good, but we could be doing great.  Also, I think that the more faithful we are at striving to do what is right the more that Heavenly Father will pour out his blessings upon us.  Hopefully, we will do better at keeping the Sabbath Day holy and in return be more mindful of Christ and receive more blessings. 

I feel this great responsibility as a mother to teach my children and help them to grow into fine adults that will be strong in the gospel as well as productive citizens to society.  Today I read Quentin L. Cook's conference talk concerning women of the church.  I truly feel that my purpose on this earth is to be a wife and mother and I don't want to fail.  I am so imperfect!  I  hope and pray that I can improve daily.  Anyway, there are some things that are on my mind lately. 

I will leave you with pictures of cute kids playing outside last night.  Yay for Spring!



1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Yay for Tanner! I'm glad his first talk was a good experience for him. Good job on the Sunday activities, too. I could be better at that myself.