Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vance

There's no doubt about it, kids grow and change.  Sometimes it hits me at different times harder than others.  Sometimes it just hits me with one kid at a time.  This week it has been Vance.  Mainly because we got him registered for kindergarten this week.  Oh, school.  Of course, there are great pros and cons to sending my oldest child of to school so naturally I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  I really have tried not to sort out those feelings.  School is a part of life.  Homeschooling is great for some people, but I think my children will benefit greater by going to public school.  (Unless we move some place where the schools are garbage).  One huge reason is the social aspect that comes with school.  Homeschooled kids can still get social interaction, I'm not saying they don't.  However, being an unsocial person myself, I know I wouldn't give my children the opportunities they need to be social if they were homeschooled.  I also think Vance will benefit greatly from having a teacher that is not Mom.  I have no doubt that Vance will grow to love school.
Vance playing Mario Galaxy.  All I can say is that he is his father's son.
All that being said, I am a bit nervous to send my child off into the scary world.  Who will look out for him when I am not around?  I think it takes a lot of faith to know that Heavenly Father is looking out for him and that is a comfort to me.  I just hope that Vance pays attention and doesn't forget to get of the bus when he is suppose or forget to go inside from the playground when school starts or something like that.  I hope that my fears are normal and that other moms feel these things too.  Thankfully, I have an entire summer to enjoy having Vance home all day before school begins.  I will try to remember this when he is driving me nuts with the endless questions of "What are we going to do next Mom?"  "And then what?"

No comments: